Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Please fasten your seat belts and make sure your seats are in the upright position"

Okay, so I’m on an airplane right now. Unfortunately, I can’t post from an airplane.. (Legality.. ugh), but I just had something hit me, so I figured I should write while it was still fresh, ya know?
Okay, so we just took off out of Denver, and I realized something. See, it used to be that whenever I was flying, take-off amazed me. I would sit in the seat, grinning ear to ear, thinking about how dang fast we were going. But lately it hasn’t been like that. Today, I could barely stay awake during take-off. I’ve gotten used to it, to the point that it isn’t a big deal. I’ve become callused, if you will. I don’t like that. At all.
Not necessarily the fact that take-off doesn’t amaze me, but the fact that I am able to become callused. Mostly because I know there are other areas of my life where this can happen, that I’m definitely not okay with. Especially when it comes to my relationship with God. 
Do you think its possible to become callused towards God? To get to the point where you “get used to Him”? I tend to get to a point in my relationship with Him where I think I’m in a good place. And when I think I’m good, I stop looking for growth. Prayer becomes a daily thing, that isn’t necessarily meaningless, but its sure as heck not as intimate as it could be. This is when I stop feeling Him. And it’s not because he isn’t there, but it’s because I’m not looking. It’s because I become content. And I hate that. Being content is not okay. I don’t ever want to be content. I want to always strive for things to be better, in all aspects of my life.
What if I become callused in my love for my friends and family, or find contentment in my future job. What if I didn’t allow my love for my future wife to grow continuously? That wouldn’t be okay, would it? I hope not.. So why do we tend to treat it like its okay when it’s God. I need to be constantly striving to grow in Him.

Matthew 5:6 says, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied."

Thats something I definitely need to work on. And all of that spawned from my airplane take-off experience..
On a completely seperate note, I’d like to reiterate how great this weekend was for me. Like I’ve already said, I definitely needed the time off. But thats not the only reason it was good for me. This weekend has been one constant reminder of Jamaica. In little ways to big ways, everything has made me think back to that trip. From being in an airport, to a text message reminding me of the clear skies and abundant stars, (As I typed that, my Ipod played the song “Stars” by Switchfoot.. weird.), to the ginger ale and twizzlers I just enjoyed. 

Did you know it's illegal to take pictures on an airplane?
I'm a rebel.

God has used this weekend as a reminder, and it’s one that I definitely needed. I needed to think back, and remember how strong his presence was there, and how clearly he spoke to me. I feel like this trip has been one big, “Hey, remember what I told you to do?” And thats been really good, because its been hard lately.. 
Anyway, thats all I’ve got. Song of the day: “Why do I keep counting?” by The Killers. The main lyric says, “If my days are numbered, than why do I keep counting?” I don’t know what it means, but I interpret it as, “Why am I wasting my time thinking about what to do with my time” I like that idea. Maybe I’ll elaborate on it sometime. But not right now. Lol. 

I will end this post with the final bird count for our trip.

Daniel: 18
Ryan: 13
Scott: 13
Dad: 9
Carter: 5
Dog: 1
I. AM. VICTORIOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment