Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pheasants, Albino Mountain Goats, and Easy Cheese..

Today we hunted mega early. And guess what? I'm still winning. The count is now as follows:

Daniel: 12
Ryan: 8
Scott: 6
Dad: 4
Carter: 0
Dog:1 (He chased one down..)

Total: 31/80

After hunting early, we headed to Rapid city, (2 hours away), to see Mt. Rushmore. On the way, we drove through the Badlands. If you've never been to the Badlands, they look like this:


And this is what they look like while we're there.
This is a cactus that I found. Turns out there poisonous..
Now, I've already been to Mt. Rushmore, and guess what? In the 4 years since I've been, it hasn't changed a bit! Its the exact same rock as it was when I was a freshman. But thats okay. Because my brother hadn't seen it. And I know he enjoyed it.



And honestly, I'm super pumped I went, because what happened while we were there was sick! This is for sure the coolest thing that happened to me today. I was in the Mt Rushmore parking garage, and look what comes out of nowhere. (It is not an Alpaca..)



"Oh, well hey there albino mountain goat and child, how is your day going? I'm going to try to touch you now."

Thats what went through my head. But as I figured out, Mountain Goats are very protective of their young. I thoughr he was giving me the "I love you" face.. but his soft pet-able fur was deceiving. His "I love you" face was actually his angry face.. Heres the picture I took while stumbeling backwards right before the goat decided to lunch off the edge at me face:

This is his angry face.
Okay, so after Rushmore, we headed another hour out of the way to see the Crazy horse memorial. This was a pretty big dissapointment. THe drive out there was insane, and dad decided to take the long way.. And Just because I'm into pictures today, let me illustrate to you what we saw.

Here is what crazy horse looks like right now:


Heres what Crazy Horse looks like when you get there 5 minutes after close, and the lights guy is sick, and no one else bothered to light it up:

Can you see it?

So that was a really big waste of time. We ended up not eating until nine, and we didn't get back to the hunting lodge until almost one.. And now I'm writing. And really, there wasn't anything profound in my brain today. It was just good to have a day where I didn't have to worry about anything. I mean, my biggest worry today was whether or not I could climb to the top of those mountains without falling off. And I think that was good for me.

Psalm 127:2 says: "It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep".

I think I may be eating a little too much of the bread of anxious toil. So days like today are good, and I'm glad I had it. After all, who wants to get obese on anxious bread? Its all carbs you know..

Oh, and my song for the day was for sure "Afterlife" by Switchfoot.. Check it out, its brand-spankin new.

But anyway, I think that verse is also telling me to go to bed, so I'm gonna do that. 

I have no idea..

No comments:

Post a Comment